The birth of the building
When it was founded (1824), the Museo Egizio was housed in the building called the Collegio dei Nobili, built to a design by Michelangelo Garove from 1679 on. It was used to exhibit the first antiquities in the Drovetti collection, purchased by King Carlo Felice. Following alterations by Giuseppe Maria Talucchi and Alessandro Mazzucchetti, the building was enlarged and adapted to its new use in the second half of the 19th century. Already in 1832, however, the Museum was opened to the public.